Search This Blog

Friday, April 9, 2010

Two-week menu and Make-Your-Own Pasta Salad


I don't really enjoy grocery shopping. It's not so much the walking up and down the aisles that irks me; it's more the empty and put it away. So, to avoid going grocery shopping too often and to help save money on our groceries by not going grocery shopping too often, I make a two-week dinner menu and then contrive my shopping list from that menu. (I add common lunch items, breakfast cereals and other snacks and sundry items, as well.)

I use most of my produce and fresh items in the first week and then go to pantry staples and frozen items for week number two. Since I just went shopping yesterday and have a fresh two-week menu (although it's short a couple of days because I didn't get my shopping done on Tuesday like I wanted to), I thought I would share it with you to help answer your daily question of "What's for dinner?"

Thursday, April 8-- Make-your-own Pasta Salad
Friday, April 9-- Fajitas
Saturday, April 10-- leftovers
Sunday, April 11--Hamburgers, fries, salad
Monday, April 12--Rhodes Rolls Ham Hot pockets
Tuesday, April 13--Sloppy joes
Wednesday, April 14-- Stir fry
Thursday, April 15-- Pigs in blankets
Friday, April 16--Spaghetti
Saturday, April 17-- leftovers
Sunday, April 18 -- Crock pot lasagna
Monday, April 19-- Brinner (Breakfast for dinner)

Here's last night recipe. It's a family pleaser because each person gets to add just what he wants. Ryker even eats it. It's a great way to get veggies in your kids, too.

Make-Your-Own Pasta Salad
(an Eyre family original)

Your choice of pasta (I like rotini)
A pile of each of the following ingredients (feel free to add more):
cubed ham
cubed turkey
cubed cheddar cheese
cubed Monterrey Jack cheese
olives
cucumbers (peeled and diced)
tomatoes, diced
avocados, diced
Your choice of salad dressing

Cook pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, dice toppings. Put pasta in a big serving bowl and put all the other toppings in small bowls. Serve buffet style with each person making his or her own salad.

2 comments:

  1. YUM! I will have to try that one! (Brett would appreciate the "make your own" since he HATES olives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do something similar with my menu. Except I only shop once a month, and weekly for fruits/veggies/milk. We should get together and go shopping, I hate the shopping and love putting everything away! How do you make your Rhodes Rolls Ham Hot Pockets??

    ReplyDelete