Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Sweet and Sour Chicken

I thought it tasted more like teriyaki than sweet and sour but it was still good. I pulled together a few recipes because I didn't have much on hand and really didn't want to go to the store. The next time I make this, I will add red peppers(I don't like green) and carrots-like in Triessa's recipe.





1 pound of boneless and skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1" chunks
1 egg white
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (1/4 teaspoon table salt)
2 teaspoons cornstarch

In a bowl, combine the chicken with the egg white, salt and cornstarch. Stir to coat the chicken evenly. Let sit for 15 minutes at room temperature or up to overnight in the refrigerator.

1 onion-cut into 1 inch chunks
several stalks celery cut into 1 inch chunks
slivered almonds-I just added some until it looked like enough and then sprinkled some on top

Sauce:
2 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons vinegar
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 large can pineapple with juice
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch

Bring all ingredients to a boil and thicken with cornstarch.


Stir fry the onion and celery in vegetable oil, until crisp-tender. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink. Add sauce and mix. Serve with white or brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment